Wednesday, May 4, 2011

new town, new obstetrician, same old Braxton Hicks

I am in Vancouver from now until I reach 32 weeks.  This is only for Emma's sake, otherwise I must confess I would rather be at home, in my own bed.  I am lucky enough to be able to live with my parents and not have to pay rent or living expenses, plus enjoying their company and support, but there is no place like home.  Not to mention missing my husband.  The reason we are doing this is because it will be wise to be next to an NICU if I go into preterm labour or anything happens that we don't want at this point.

Over the last two days I have been very anxious, and short of breath at times, because of the anxiety.  I think it has to do with the extended move to Vancouver, but cannot be sure.  Yesterday night I had a lot of Braxton Hicks again, which I had not had for almost five or six weeks.  They were coming every ten minutes at one point, and I was considering taking a hefty dose of Advil to inhibit the prostaglandins, but thankfully they stopped as I fell asleep.  I woke up without them, thank God! but during the day I did have them three or four times, or maybe more, and I was urinating every half an hour.  I even tested my urine and it was clear of infection, so something must have shifted in terms of uterus pressing on the bladder.

The Braxton Hicks are going away hopefully, coming on only when I go up and down stairs (which I am avoiding now) and when I bend over the sink to wash my face (don't know how to avoid this one, except to shower each time I want to wash my face and hence wash it standing up).

Today I am meeting the new obs-gyne who will look after me while in Vancouver, together with MFM if I actually go into labour or get into some kind of trouble.  I don't think that will be the case, so hopefully he'll be the only one involved in my care.  His receptionist is a b**ch over the phone every time I talk to her.  That should be a good sign.  Usually the docs that are nice and kind need a bulldog to guard them.  Will let you guys know how it went.

2 comments:

  1. Hoping all went well with the new doctor today! I hear you on the anxiety, I've been feeling it lately too, such a scary point in the pregnancy, I cannot wait to get past the next month into safer territory! Thinking of you & sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope it all went well today MrsH. Thinking of you lots and sending you tons of love. Can't wait to see Emma, but I don't want her here too early! Rest, let your mom take care of you for a bit... you deserve it! Growing babies is hard work!

    ReplyDelete