Monday, September 12, 2011

new SNS just arrived

Just a quick update about the Medela SNS (the commercial version), which just arrived today.  I boiled the parts as recommended and used it with breast milk, it worked very well.  What is nice about it is that I can hang it around my neck and the tube can be taped in place, so it leaves my hands free (except for the hand that i use to hold Emma with).  The tubing is thinner than the 5 French so it takes longer to take in the same volume, which is a little time consuming and makes Emma fall asleep on the job.  Then she wakes up hungry, and today twice I gave up and used the bottle to finish the feeding, as it was taking almost two hours to feed her and I got tired myself.  I think tomorrow I will try the thicker tubing in the evenings, as she is more tired and is just taking forever to eat.

I don't know exactly if this is worth the time and effort, especially since she takes both the breast and the bottle very easily.  But I will persist with it.  I also don't know if my milk production has increased at all, since she is still taking sometimes 3 oz of supplement, which is almost a whole feed.  But I have to keep trying.  All I can say is that I am glad I don't have a full time job.

No comments:

Post a Comment